Monday, July 02, 2007

7 books

Well, I don't really read seven books at once, but I decided to try to my best to participate in Grace's 7 books I'm reading

So here it goes.

1.bought on vacation - Stealing Lincoln's Body by Thomas J. Craughwell

I bought this book at the gift shop at Lincoln's home in Springfield, IL. I just started reading it. So far it has been very interesting about the assasination of Lincoln, the history of counterfeiting in America and the birth of the Secret Service.

2. recently loaned out - The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch.

This book help me put words around some of my feelings and gave me insight into what others are doing to be the church. It read somewhat like a text book at times, which actually worked for me, but for someone not really interested in the subject I think it would be a tough read.

3. just finished - How (Not) to Speak of God by Peter Rollins

I thought this book was great. It really stretched me and opened my thinking of God, the Church and spirituatliy.

4. on order from Amazon - Jesus Has Left the Building by Paul Vieira

I had some money from a Amazon gift from my birthday and spent a lot of time looking at what book I might order. Settled on this one. Should get it when we return home from vacation.

5. in the kids bathroom - Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out With the Diapers by Marrit Ingman

This is a book my wife had read and said, "you need to read this." The chapter about the Picture People is worth the read. I keep in the kids bathroom and read some durring bathtime.

6. hidden treasure - A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage

Take an extrodinary trip through history based on the predominate beverage. Beer, Wine, Spirits, Coffee, Tea, Cola.

7. one of my favorites - Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli

This is one of those books I still like to go back and read from time to time. When I first got it I could not put it down and read it in one sitting, I had no idea how much this book would speak to me. Every once in a while you need a reminder that despite how messed up you might be, God still loves you.

No comments: